Go! Share the Good News!
Feast of the Transfiguration of Our Lord
Beloved in Christ,
Blessing and greeting in the name of the One who brings healing and wholeness and calls each of us to share the Good News.
Stewardship – is happening! And this letter is the first of several communications about those three T’s:
Time, Talent and Treasure.
This may not be your normal stewardship kickoff letter … and that will either be intriguing enough to make you read on or give you a reason to stop reading. Both are fair responses.
Now before we get to next year’s giving, let us talk about this year … if you pledged for 2019, please fulfill your commitment! We are trying to figure out where we are with respect to the rest of this year’s finances and having all the information is always helpful.
Talking about money can make us anxious. And anxiety leads to all sorts of other behavior and feelings. Sometimes this is expressed in anger and often in withdrawal. Both are understandable but neither supports the kingdom building to which we as Christians are called. Except money is how we pay for the things we need – electricity, programs, salaries, clean facilities, safe spaces to learn and grow and worship, a place to help others. Without money, much of what you expect about Sunday and every day here will be changed.
And we are a community of folks, gathered for worship, formation, and outreach. Healthy communities need trust and vulnerability. Without one or the other, the community will wither — without trust is it is nearly impossible to be vulnerable and without vulnerability, there can be no transformation and then, alas, no real community.
If indeed you are still reading you might ask, what’s next …
You will in the next few weeks, receive an invitation to attend a cottage meeting in your neighborhood. I ask you to find a way to attend. These meetings are designed as listening sessions on the way forward as a community. Yes, we will ask for money and we will also be asking for your opinions, thoughts, and desires. Your part in this conversation matters, your thoughts, your ideas, your presence matters, you, matter. Each of you and more importantly — all of us together.
After that pray and then act beloved. Pray about your commitment financially and spiritually. Pray about how much money, how much time, how much effort. We have all kinds of work [time and talent] posted below. Go and look it over. The gifts and talents of the people here are immeasurable. Use them in service to this community of faith.
In a world that often seems increasingly divided and contentious can we who worship here choose a different path? I pray we will not allow the forces of apathy or fear or anger to succeed. Instead, I believe this is a community of transformation, vulnerable enough to trust God and each other and ultimately choosing the path of prayer and possibility over resignation and eventuality.
Christ Church has the capacity to share the Good News of God. Christ Church has the ability, the talent, and the resources to be the voice of Jesus, the voice of love and acceptance in the world.
Go beloved and share the Good News,
Do you have time and talent? Of course, you do!
- Potluck in the Park – sort, chop, carry, clean 1-3 hours once a month on Sundays
- Auction volunteers- as needed
- Event planning for parish events – varies
- Host coffee hour 8 am or 10 am – once every 3 or 4 months
- Help with fellowship or hospitality as needed for parish events
- Art Gallery Volunteer 1-2 hours per month as Docent
- Art Gallery receptions once every 6-8 weeks
- Hospitality for funerals – Lesser Saints
- Tablecloth launderer as needed
- Answer phones, make copies, run errands 4 hours every week or less
- Make phone calls as needed
- Strategic Planner
- Creative Thinker
- Web Design
- Social Media Experience
- Financial Assistant
- Sunday school teacher varies
- Nursery volunteer – once a month
- Youth volunteer – for monthly events
- Flower Guild – arrangers once a month 2 hours
- Altar Guild – once per month 2-3 hours
- Reader -Sundays either 8 or 10 or
- Usher – Sundays once a month either 8 or 10
- Greeter- Sundays once a moth
- Bread baker – once a month 2 hours
- Choir – weekly practice and Sundays
- Shepherd Newcomers 1-2 hours per month
- Care Companions- monthly meetings and 1-2 visits per month
- Casserole maker as needed
- Knitting Guild – twice month on Saturday gatherings
- Work in the memorial garden once a month 1-2 hours
- Light maintenance throughout the building as needed
- Painting as needed
- Wash windows
- Kitchen upkeep